Deadline: 30 November 2018. Our 16th Annual Photo Contest is now open for submissions, and we’re looking for the best of the best.
The following six contest categories are drawn from subjects of special interest to Smithsonian.com:
1. Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
2. Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
3. People: Portraits and photos of groups or individuals.
4. The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
5. Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e., colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.).
6. Mobile: Any photograph taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
To be eligible for any category, a photograph must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2016.
Eight prizes will be awarded, as follows:
– Grand Prize: $2,500
– Category Winners: The winners of each of the six categories will receive $500.
– Readers’ Choice: The winner of the online Readers’ Choice award will receive $500.
– One cash prize per person; winners may receive additional noncash prizes. Winners must sign a release and license, as well as a declaration of eligibility, and will be responsible for paying any notary public fees or taxes they may owe on a prize.
Contest website: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/photocontest/submission/