Deadline: 30 November 2020. What does an award-winning photograph look like? It can range from an captivating portrait of a family member to a moon-drenched landscape to movement captured at just the right time. Our 18th Annual Photo Contest is now open for submissions, and we’re looking for the best of the best.
There are 6 categories:
• Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
• Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
• People: Portraits and photos of groups or individuals.
• The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
• Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects.
• Mobile: Any photograph taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
Grand Prize winner: $2,500.
Category winners: $500
Readers’ Choice winner: $500
Photo Contest Website: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/photocontest/submission/